"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."

-PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

sabato 21 aprile 2012

116th Boston Marathon - Boston MA

There are some races to run fast and there are some races to just finish and enjoy the experience.
I spent the last 3 months trying to be ready for a PR race (and I'm pretty confident I was ready) but even if you meticulously plan, 
schedule, and execute your training sessions there's nothing you can do against the weather conditions... and that's part of the marathon unfortunately.

Two days prior to the start, Boston Athletic Association helped put all things in the right prospective by saying: "you should adopt the attitude that THIS IS NOT A RACE. It is an experience"....well... that was one of the best advices I have ever received!

It was really HOT, 79 degrees at the start; soon to hit 82, then jump up to 86 degrees by the end. The heat slowed the leaders and led to warnings that may have convinced as many as 4,300 no-shows to sit this one out. 
After mile 10 I started to slow down trying to make it to the finish without additional and useless pain. I walked at least 3 times (or maybe more) but I made it at the end in pretty good conditions.
I finished 7 minutes slower than what I was looking for and it was the second slowest marathon of my life ... nevertheless I was 139th male at the Boston Marathon, 1st Italian Overall!  but most importantly I understood what makes Boston so special! It's really THE Marathon.

The following phrase is from Matt Facebook page ... and I agree 100%:
Gotta give a big shout out to the Boston Marathon fans in Hopkinton, Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Newton, Brookline, and Boston! I thought the BAA did well with today's heat but the people along the route were super with volunteer firemen tapping their hydrants and residents setting up their sprinklers, sponges, ice cold water, ice pops, and a group in the upper miles with beer. Thanks!




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento